Sunday, April 06, 2008

Get A Check From The Government

All you have to do is file a 2007 tax return to get stimulus check. Pass the word!

A letter to Dear Abby from the Internal Revenue Service

Universal Press Syndicate

Dear Abby:

The IRS needs help from your readers.

Starting in May, economic stimulus payments of up to $600 for individuals and $1,200 for married couples will be issued by the IRS based on 2007 tax returns. Parents also get $300 for each eligible child.

To receive it, people must file a 2007 tax return.

That's all there is to it.

And here's where your readers can help: Millions of people are eligible but may not know it. Certain retirees, disabled vets and low-wage workers do not normally file a tax return.

However, this year they must in order to receive the stimulus check.

Your readers can help not just the IRS but perhaps themselves, friends or family by spreading the word.

Please ask them to mention it to people they think might qualify. The eligibility rules are on, the best source of information.

Generally, people who have at least $3,000 from earned income or certain benefits from Social Security, Railroad Retirement and Veterans Affairs — or a combination of income from these benefits — are eligible. They need only provide a few details on a Form 1040A. We'll do the rest.

DOUG SHULMAN, IRS Commissioner

Dear Doug:

You're a wise man who obviously understands the power of word-of-mouth "advertising."

And I am sure Dear Abby readers will be glad to pitch in and help get the word out so that everyone who is entitled will receive a check.

Readers, thank you for helping to publicize this effort.Abby: File 2007 tax return to get stimulus check | - Houston Chronicle

No comments: